Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Before & After

The photo editing business is booming! There are people hired for the sole purpose to edit photographs all day. Sounds like the life, huh? We witness the work of a photo editor every day in our news papers and magazines.

Photo editing has been quite the controversial topic. Some might say that photos that are edited are misleading and that the way we edit models in magazines is negatively affecting our younger generation by portraying unrealistic body images. Some say that if you must edit a photo, you must not be a real artist. The real beauty of a photo, some people say, lies in its flaws. While I agree with both points to some extent, I also believe that some of the greatest artwork that is being produced right now is computer generated or manipulated.

Check out galleries by Benjamin Delacour, Irina Trofimova, or Darrell Eager

I am not a master of photoshop and I would love to learn how to use some of the techniques these contemporary artists are using to create such amazing images; however, I thoroughly enjoy photo editing. I seldom use editors for objects in low light or still life, but due to my amateur photography skills, photo editing comes in handy for portraits.

Within ten minutes you can take a perfectly decent photograph and turn into one that pops! Here are a few of my favorite before and afters.


Photographs: All the above photographs were taken with my digital SLR. The first two are self portraits. I took the photograph with light from my window and in front of a plain white wall. I mainly took it so that I could manipulate the colors and contrast. The second set of photographs are of Ali. My main goal was to eliminate the shadows on her face and brighten up the overall photograph. The last set of photographs (which we have seen before) are of Sarah. I was very happy with the raw photo, but wanted to play with the saturation. Sarah has very pretty blue eyes and the raw photo did not do them justice. I wanted to concentrate on focusing on one feature of her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment